Reading and Phonics
At St Mary's, our Phonics Scheme is High Quality Letters & Sounds. Our KS1 main reading scheme is Oxford Reading Tree, supplemented by Myon e-books.
Phonics resources at St Mary’s:
A lot of parents and carers often ask us how they can support their child (or children) with their emerging phonics skills). Throughout this academic year, Mrs Jeewan, our Phonics Leader and EYFS teacher in Butterfly class, has been developing and improving our school’s provision in this area. This week Mrs Jeewan carried out a refresher training session with the teaching staff and she is very eager to share these resources with our parents and carers, so that you can help your children back at home.
If you are interested and would like to support your child with the process of learning their phonics, then please use some of the phonics resources in this section which include:
- Our Phonics Mat
- Phonics flashcards
- A selection of Phonics videos (produced by Mrs Jeewan and Miss Hunter)
- An instructional PowerPoint showing how we help our children to learn phonics, including:
- How phonics are the first steps to reading
- How phonics link to comprehension and word reading and an explanation of what phonics actually are
- How we engage our pupils to enjoy their phonics
- How we encourage our children to be independent learners
- Segmenting and blending
- Phonics activities to try at home
- Example phonics lesson routines
- Useful resources and websites to help you at home
- Our future plans for phonics and how we will help and support our parents & carers
Please do let us know if you would like any more information from the school, so that you can help to support your child whilst learning their phonics when at home.